Aviatrix is our flagship software application: a full flight management system (FMS) and airborne camera control system. It is lightweight and simple to use, yet is has all the functionality of the most expensive systems on the market. It is suited to all levels of users, from absolute beginners to highly experienced professionals.
The key design features of the system are:
- It is flexible: it can interface with a range of different cameras, GPS receivers and attitude measurement sensors (IMUs), making it useful for a wide range of different applications.
- It is customizable: since we have developed the software ourselves, we can customize it to suit specific hardware or particular applications.
- It has been designed by experienced survey pilots and aerial camera operators. The user interface is intuitive, clean and easy to use.
- It has only those features that are actually required for aerial camera control and flight navigation. It is not weighed down with extra functionality that is not needed on aerial survey missions.
Although Aviatrix has been specifically designed for use on manned aircraft, we are currently developing a version for use with unmanned aerial systems (UAS). Click here for further details.
Click here to download a brochure.
We have designed Aviatrix to be adaptable to the needs of our customers. It can control a wide range of different cameras, from cheap off-the-shelf digital cameras, to professional DSLRs and medium format cameras, to FLIR thermal imaging sensors and high-end industrial/multispectral cameras. Aviatrix has been operationally tested with a wide range of Canon, Nikon and Sony DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, as well as professional medium format cameras, such as Hasselblad and Phase One. It has also been used to control FLIR A-series and FLIR SC-series thermal imaging sensors. Further cameras can be added on request.
GPS and IMUs
As a minimum, Aviatrix requires an NMEA-tpye GPS to provide data at rates of 1Hz or greater. (The specific NMEA sentences that Aviatrix requires are GGA and RMC.) Aviatrix will interface with both low-spec and high-spec GPS receivers: it is compatible with most NMEA-type GPS devices, as well as a range of other types of hardware, such as systems provided by Novatel, Trimble, Oxford Technical Solutions and many more. Support for other types of GPS and IMU equipment will be added on request.
The Aviatrix user interface is the most important part of any FMS: it is where the pilot or camera operator interacts with the system. It therefore has to be simple, easy to use and efficient in its design.
Although Aviatrix runs on a laptop or tablet PC, the graphical user interface is designed to display nicely on an external screen that sits in front of the pilot. This means that the software can be operated either by a camera operator (using the laptop), or by the pilot (using the external screen) in a single pilot operation. Aviatrix has been designed to be compatible with 7″ or 8″ touch-screen displays, but it also functions very well on a tablet PC, such as a Microsoft Surface Pro.
- the bearing and distance to target, over a real-time moving map
- the current location of the plane within the flight plan area
- a cross-track and angular offset light bar
- real-time feedback of triggered camera locations
Aviatrix can be used in single pilot operations, or multi-crew operations with a pilot and camera operator.
Try before you buy
Investing in a new FMS can be a big decision. We therefore encourage our clients to try the system for themselves before they purchase. We do this as follows:
- The client downloads a fully function time-locked version of Aviatrix. This can be run on any computer, using Aviatrix’s in-built GPS simulator. During this “bench testing” phase the client can see how the software operates.
- On receipt of a deposit, we will ship the interface hardware to the client. The hardware is basically a trigger box that sits between the computer and the camera. The client can continue to test the system on the bench, or test it in the air.
- Assuming the client wants to proceed, we then determine the most appropriate package, either the STANDARD Aviatrix package, or the ADVANCED Aviatrix package (further details here).
Please contact us if you would like an obligation-free trial of the Aviatrix flight management system.